If you need a splash of sprinkles in your life, these little cookies will do the trick.
This is my grandma’s classic sugar cookie recipe. We usually use this recipe for cut out cookies. This time we experimented to find the just right size for these sprinkle sugar cookies. In our first batch we used our 1.5 tablespoon cookie dough scoop and left them in balls. This resulted in thick round cookies. For the second batch we made the balls half that size and flattened them slightly before baking. While both are delicious, the smaller cookies make for a perfect little bite. They are also delicious dipped in tea or coffee.
Baking with your little baker
If your little bakers loves sprinkles this is a perfect afternoon baking activity. It’s a Beginner Baker recipe with just a few steps and about 30 minutes to make.
The sprinkles drew my 2 year old into the kitchen. To keep him occupied while prepping and making the dough, I let him do some sensory play with an extra bowl of sprinkles, scooping them from one bowl to another. If you don’t have extra sprinkles, they can play with a little flour. There are a lot of jobs for little bakers with this recipe. Here are some of our favorite:
- Using the mixer to cream the butter and sugar.
- Forming cookie dough into balls.
- Rolling the cookie dough in sprinkles.
how we baked it
Sprinkle sugar cookies
2 dozen 3 inch cookies
30 minutes | Hands on: 15-20 minutes Bake time: 8-10 minutes
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sprinkles, plus more for rolling cookie dough
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or non stick spray.
- Combine flour, baking power and salt in small bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer on high speed for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Add vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- On low speed, mix in flour mixture – careful not to over-beat.
- Fold in sprinkles.
- Scoop dough into tablespoon size balls and roll in sprinkles.
- Place dough on cookie sheet and press cookie to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
If you bake this recipe, let us know!