Snacks are kind of a big deal. And it’s not just the toddler and preschooler, I love a little afternoon bite to hold me over until dinner. These easy no-bake granola bars are super tasty and packed with protein and nutrients.
I started eating flaxseed meal to increase supply while I was nursing and it worked wonders. Aside from that, flaxseed also contains essential fatty acids and is a great source of vitamins. The flavor works really well alongside the almond butter to provide some extra fuel for your day. Both of my kids devour them.
Baking tips by age
I would usually break down some baking tips by age but really these are just so simple any age can measure, pour and mix up this tasty treat. We found it helpful to use a big spoon to scoop the granola from the mixing bowl to the square pan. You can even have fun switching up the coconut and chocolate chips for your favorite add-ins, like nuts or dried fruit. I like to ground nuts so they are easy chewing for little mouths.
How we baked it
Almond Butter + Flaxseed Granola Bars
Hands on 20 minutes | Freezer 1 hour
Makes 16 bars in 9 inch pan
2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup flaxseed meal
1 cup almond butter or peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Combine oats and flaxseed meal in large bowl.
- Add nut butter and honey.
- Mix until oats are well coated.
- Mix in coconut and chocolate chips.
- Place in 9 inch square baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Press well into the bottom and sides of pan.
- Freeze for 1 hour
- Remove granola bars from baking pan by pulling up on corners of the parchment paper.
- Place parchment paper on cutting board and cut granola into 16 squares.
Granola bars can be kept in the refrigerator for about a week.
To transport, wrap bars in parchment paper and place in small bag or container.